Monday, April 20, 2009

Moroccan Chicken

Just when you thought there was nothing left to do with chicken!

I wish I had take a picture because I can't find one that looks similar.
Next time I make it I will take a picture.

I was feeling desperate to find a new way to make chicken when I found this recipe in my "Best of Cooking Light" book. Of course we needed to eat within the hour and I didn't have any green olives, Calimynra figs or sweet Marsala wine on hand so I improvised. (Does this surprise you?)
It got six out of six thumbs up (and no one picked anything out either). Although if you don't like cilantro you won't like this recipe. Consider yourself warned.

The recipe said it made 4 servings, I used four Costco chicken breasts, 1 1/2 times the recipe and came out with plenty for 6 adults plus leftovers for two lunches (which were gone the next day).

Enough Banter... on to the recipe (the way I made it). 6-8 servings.

four chicken breasts thawed and cubed into bite sized pieces
Spray pan with Pam and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
1 bunch of fresh cilantro finely chopped (do not even attempt this with dried cilantro)
1/2 cup quartered dried Calimyrna figs (I put raisins in part of mine and my raisin eaters said it was very good)
2 TBS Honey
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 TBS bottled minced garlic (fresh, not dehydrated)
1 tsp cumin

(it also called for 1/2 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp cardamom but I didn't have any so I left them out)

Add remaining ingredients to chicken and cook another 8 min or so until chicken is done.

We served this over brown rice that I had already made but the book suggested serving it over couscous. (If you've never tried couscous you should it's quick and yummy).

1 comment: