Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Banana Bread

This is the Best Banana Bread! It is from my friend Pamela, and I always use this recipe.

Banana Bread
2 1/2 C Flour
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 - 2 C bananas (about 3)
3/4 C buttermilk or 3 T powdered buttermilk and 3/4 C water
1/2 C shortening
1 t vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (also buttermilk if using pwdr). In another bowl, mix mashed bananas, buttermilk (or water if using the powder, shortning and vanilla. Add banana mix to dry mix. Add eggs and beat on med. speed for 2 min.

Pour batter into greased and floured bread pans. Bake for 40-50 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on racks and store in gallon size ziplocks.


Note: I LOVE powdered buttermilk! I don't ever use it except for this recipe and if I use the powdered, I can have it on hand and not have to run to the store. Also, butter flavored crisco sticks are the easiest to use, cut and measure. No mess. I also make these into muffins. They bake in 30 - 35 min and are 130 cals per muffin.

1 comment: