Sunday, March 22, 2009

No tortilla chips? No problem

I really like tortilla chips, especially with salsa but when I started Weight Watchers I just couldn't justify the points/calories. So I set out to find a better alternative and this is what I came up with, all you need is corn tortillas and Pam (Lisa and I discovered that White corn Tortillas have less calories than yellow ones... go figure).

1st... Put the rack in your oven close to the top and turn the oven on Low Broil... don't panic, you don't need to hunt down your broiler pan just grab a cookie sheet.

Get out the number of tortillas you want and leave them stacked up. Lifting one at at time spray the bottom of one and the top of the next with pam. When you are done with the stack cut the whole stack at once.

For tortilla chips - I like to cut it into 8 wedges - I feel like I'm getting more.

For these babies:I cut the tortilla in half first and then cut them into thin strips - the thinner the better

Spread your cut tortilla on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt. Put under the broiler for a few minutes... watch it closely as you want them golden and they tend to burn easily. For my oven I know it's time to "stir" them when "thick steam" or a tiny bit of smoke comes out of the vent. Stir and return to the oven for a few more minutes. NOTE: We tried to speed it up once by doing it on high and ended up taking the flaming tortillas outside to finish burning. I would suggest that you be very attentive the first time or two while you figure out what works best for your particular oven. If you still have some soft ones and most are golden brown just turn off you oven and put the cookie sheet on a lower oven shelf and they will crisp up quickly.

My kids prefer these over the kind you buy and they are cheaper and better for you. We use the little strips for Taco salad and tortilla soup.

2 comments: