Monday, March 2, 2009

Calzones

On a trip back from St. George we stopped at a little place in Cedar City called Bruno's
It's actually connected to a gas station... but I got a calzone there and it was so yummy!
I played around a little and this is what I came up with:
This recipe makes about 10 medium size calzones.
(It can be done with one person but goes really fast with a helper)

Make half a batch of bread dough (or make a whole batch and use half to make a loaf of bread, faux foccacia or bread sticks - more details on that later)

Allow dough to rise once before you cut it into 10 even parts.

About 15 min or so before dough is ready chop and prepare the toppings you want in your calzone. (cheese, Ham, pepperoni, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, olives, spinach, onions, artichoke hearts, BBQ chicken ... whatever you like or have on hand) Set it aside.

Preheat oven to 400.

Roll each dough ball into a thin circle. I like to lift and turn the dough as I go (I use a little pam on the counter and my rolling pin for my first one but the dough should not be sticky). Rolling it thin makes for a crispy crust and also allows it to cook quickly. It sould be about the size of a small plate.

Spray a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with pam and place the dough on the pan. ( I stretch it a little more here too). Put the desired toppings on one half in the middle, keeping it away from the edge. Wet your finger (you could use a pastry brush) and wet the edge of the calzone.

Stretch the other half gently over the top and press to seal the calzone.
Note: I tried to make these with sauce inside but could never get them to seal well, so now I serve sauce on the side.


If you want to identify what is inside you can use a fork to make initials in the top. When the pan is full, spray the whole thing with Pam and bake at 400 for about 13 min, until golden brown.


You can see in the picture at the top that I wanted to try once again to put the sauce inside - and it leaked...

These are great for a meal on the go as well as snacks.

Note: If you have two people, one can do the rolling while the other fills and seals.

2 comments: