Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Egg Rolls




I love to make these because they turn out so yummy. My husband says they are the only "chineese" food that I make that is as good as a resturant.
Egg Rolls
1 lb ground chicken or turkey. (pork works too) (I use 1 lb even if I double it)
1 tsp ginger
2 cups finely chopped cabbage (abt ½ head)
¼ lb bean sprouts (I buy the pkg and put about ½)
½ C. shredded carrot
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 TBL oyster sauce (in the Chinese section)
1 pkg Large Square wanton wrappers (usually in the fruits/veggie section)

Stir fry meat and ginger over high heat. Add cabbage, bean sprouts, carrot and green onions. Cook 2 minutes or so. Stir in oyster sauce. The recipe doesn't call for it, but I often will salt to taste here, especially if you are using ground turkey. IF the filling tastes good, the egg roll will too. You can try it and season to taste.
Let mixture cool. Use 2 TBL’s (or so) of filling for each egg roll.
Deep fry at 350 in vegetable oil until golden, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.

To fold the eggroll:

Lay wrapper diagonally.








Place filling in wrapper, close to the bottom corner.
















Fold up bottom corner to cover filling.








Fold in both sides roughly against filling.
Roll toward top corner.
Wet the top corner slightly (I dip my finger in water and just go down both sides a little. Then when you roll it closed it will seal. Then it is ready to cook.


Some things I have found out…if the filling is hot, the wrapper will tear. This makes the oil pop and stuff comes out. Also, if they sit too long, they will get soggy on the bottom.
If you want to make them and only cook a few, freeze the rest. I have frozen them uncooked and cooked. If they are cooked, they can just go into the microwave. I freeze them on a cookie sheet for about an hour, and then put them into a ziplock bag. You can then remove however many you want to eat at one time. We eat a ton of these, and I usually double or triple it. So, one head cabbage, one bag bean sprouts, 1 lb meat, and last time I used 3 packages of wrappers.
I also have been trying to bake them instead of frying them, in my effort to lose weight. They are not as good, but not bad either. Last time, I baked them at 350 for 10 min and then put them under the broiler for 4 min. They were not too bad. :) You still can't eat 8 though. (Well, you could and you will want too, but you shouldn't or you will get fat like me. Stick to 2...a day)

3 comments:

  1. Lisa baked some for me at Christmas time and they were good! Thanks for the recipe! Do you spray them with pam when you bake them? (You may have noticed I seem to have an obsession with Pam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't, but my oven overly browns things, but maybe it would help.

    My problem is the outside seems to cook and the inside stays doughy. (for wanton wrappers) I put the recipe in my program and it says they are 70 cals each, if you don't fry them. I don't know how to figure in the frying part, so I only eat the baked ones.

    ReplyDelete